History

1964: Zambia gained independence with an annual requirement of petroleum products of 146,000 metric tons. The bulk of this came from Central African Petroleum Refineries Limited, in Rhodesia (present day Zimbabwe).

1965: The demand for petroleum products increased to 172,000 metric tons per annum. In November, Rhodesia had a Unilateral Declaration of Independence which forced Zambia to import all of its petroleum products by road tankers through the port of Dar es Salaam.

1967: On 19thJanuary, the Tanzanian and Zambian government negotiated between them a pipeline convention to regulate the construction, operation and maintenance of the pipeline including such matters as tax status, wayleave easements and ownership, shareholding, market share and other rights and privileges.

Construction of an 8 inch pipeline from Dar es Salaam to Ndola commenced with the help of the Italian government in form of an inter-governmental loan to the two governments.

1968: TAZAMA Pipelines Limited was incorporated. The pipeline had an annual throughput of 600,000 metric tons per annum and five pumping stations, four in Tanzania and one in Zambia.

The pipeline delivered to Zambia only refined white products in batches. These were premium and regular petrol, kerosene, gas oil and aviation fuel.

The sources of these products were TIPER Refinery in Tanzania which provided 33% and the other 67% came from Persian Gulf Countries by tanker Shipments.

1970 – 1971: Throughput was increased to 760,000 metric tons by construction of two additional pumping stations at Mbeya and Kalonje in Tanzania and Zambia respectively.

1971 – 1973: Further expansions were carried out in this period and these were;

  • Construction of a crude oil Tank Farm in Dar es Salaam consisting of six tanks with a total design storage capacity of 246,000 cubic metres.
  • Construction of a total of 798km of 12 inch diameter pipeline loops.
  • One additional pumping unit for each of the seven pump stations.

These expansions resulted in the installed capacity of 1.1million metric tons thus the current completion state of TAZAMA Pipelines Limited.

The commissioning of the Tank Farm coincided with the commissioning of the INDENI Refinery thus the beginning of transportation of crude oil through the pipeline.

1999 – 2007: This period saw the shutdown of the refinery in 1999 due to a fire, erratic supply of feedstock and fuel shortages in the country.

2007: Government took up the role of feedstock supplier and appointed TAZAMA as its Agent in overseeing the procurement, refining process and sale of products to Oil Marketing Companies.